Tips and general information
||Days of the week||Saturday||Sunday|
|Banks||9:00 - 16:00|
|Post offices||8:00 - 20:00||9:00 - 21:00||9:00 - 20:00|
|Shops and shopping centres of Minsk||9:00 - 22:00||9:00 - 21:00||9:00 - 20:00|
|Public administration||9:00 - 18:00|
Climate and clothing
The weather in October in Minsk is typically cool and rainy. The average daily temperature ranges between 9 ˚C (48 ˚F) and 15 ˚C (59 ˚F). We recommend you to bring an extra sweater or jacket as well as umbrella.
- Most stores, restaurants and hotels accept Visa and MasterCard
- Taxis and public transport only accept cash in local currency
- Travelers’ checks are accepted only in banks
Currency / Exchange
The currency of Belarus is the Belarusian ruble (BYR). Currency exchange can be done at any bank, large hotels or exchange offices in Minsk
The Belarusian ruble comes in denominations of: 100 rub., 500 rub., 1 000 rub., 5 000 rub., 10 000 rub., 20 000 rub., 50 000 rub., 100 000 rub., 200 000 rub .
Delegates are advised to check the current exchange rate before the flight to the General Meeting.
Mains voltage in Belarus is 230 V, network frequency is 50 Hz
Electrical sockets in Belarus are one of the two European standard electrical socket types:
- The “Type C”
- The “Type F”
We recommend that you bring with you an appropriate adapter if needed.
In hotels, as well as the locations of the General Meeting, free high-speed Internet (Wi-Fi) is available.
The state languages of Belarus are Belarusian and Russian.
In business communication Englisch and German are also common.
Near the main venue and hotels are restaurants and cafes meeting any gastronomic tastes. Italian, Japanese and French cuisine restaurants are available within walking distance. Hotel menus consist mainly of national and European cuisine dishes.
In a number of public venues in Belarus (governmental institutions, health, culture, education, trade and consumer services, public catering, as well as inall kinds of stations, the subway and public transport) smoking is permitted only in specially designated and equipped areas.
All taxes are included in the price indicated on the product. In Belarus the system of VAT refund for foreign citizens is applied.
Tax free applies to certain categories of goods subject to VAT at the rate of 20%, and provides for a refund of 15% of the purchase price.
Additional information is available on the link (available in russian only).
- Network providers for mobile phones: Velcom, MTS, life:)
- Number of digits for local calls: 7 – for city calls; 10 or 11 – for mobile network operators
- International access code of Belarus: 8 375
- For international calling it is necessary to dial before a country code: 8 10
- For international calls from the hotel, please consult the hotel operator
In Belarus, the time calculation is carried out in accordance with the international time zones Standard Time plus one hour without the annual transition to seasonal time, i.e. UTC+3
In October, When it is noon in Belarus, it is 11:00 a.m. in Paris, 10:00 a.m. in London, 5:00 a.m. in New York, 2:00 a.m. in Los-Angeles
The usual amount of tip is 10 % for the average service in a café or restaurant. Taxis, housekeeping and porters: optional.
For entry into the Belarus compulsory vaccination is not required.
- 101 – Ministry of Emergency Situations service
- 102 – Police
- 103 – Emergency medical services
Information and referral services in Minsk and Belarus
- 105 - Minsk railway station reference
- 106 - National airport “Minsk” reference
- 114 - Bus station reference
- 153 - Long-distance and international codes referenceв
Additional information about Belarus can be found at the following website: www.belarus.by.